Based on her company’s work studying consumer trends, Sarah O’Grady sees consumers on the hunt for deals this holiday season.
“Last year, lockdowns made in-person shopping challenging,” said O’Grady, vice president of brand marketing at Vericast. “With the holiday season upon us, consumers want to make up for lost time after such a disruptive 2020. Retailers can capitalize on this by offering deals and discounts – online and in-store – that make holiday shopping more affordable and meets consumers where they are.”
Vericast, a marketing solutions company, recently released an online survey which revealed a few noteworthy trends of relevance to the food industry. For example, 71% of consumers surveyed agree it’s important to support local businesses like restaurants.
Here’s a breakdown of other key findings in Vericast’s latest report, which surveyed 1,000 people to gauge current consumer sentiment and shopping behavior:
SAVINGS A KEY CONSIDERATION
Vericast’s research indicates that consumers are more than willing to shop both online and at brick-and-mortar retailers if deals can be found. In fact, most consumers expect value when shopping this holiday season.
- 78% of consumers increased their saving behaviors during the pandemic and 84% of consumers surveyed plan to continue that trend over the next year.
- 59% wished there were more coupons available during the 2020 holiday season and that sentiment was even higher among millennials (68%) and parents (68%)
- 49% said they would shop online more if they could use more coupons
- The categories people were most interested in receiving a discount, coupon or offer for this season included grocery (61%), and restaurants (45%).
HOLIDAY OPTIMISM RETURNING
The Vericast survey also revealed a general desire among consumers to return to a measure of normalcy this holiday season.
About 59% of survey respondents said they felt optimistic about the upcoming 2021 holiday season. Spending on holiday gatherings is expected to increase, the report showed.
- 74% believe hosting or attending holiday gatherings with family or friends will occur
- 93% of those planning to host holiday gatherings say they will spend the same or more than last year
- Among those who plan to spend more, 37% will spend more to enhance the guest experience, such as by purchasing more expensive food.